Wednesday, October 24, 2012

OWH Midweek Throwdown - Celebrate Friendship

I have been working on Valentine cards for Operation Write Home, thinking that everyone else is working on holiday cards!!  It fits right in with the Midweek Throwdown - Celebrate Friendship.

My final version:

This is the original, which sat in the "bad card" pile for a few weeks:


I think it really needed the lace and pearls to finish it off.   The original was too plain, even for a lover of CAS, like me. 

Am I the only one with such a "pile"?  Sometimes, I make a card, and it just doesn't seem right - maybe it is missing something, a color match isn't close enough, what ever.   I set it aside, and look at it again later on.  If I step back for a while, I find that I can take a fresh look, figure out why I didn't like it the first time around, and make adjustments. 

Rose paper from DCWV, red metallic cardstock is Recollections, sentiment from Colorbok vellum pad, ribbon from Offray, pearl lace from my stash - a very old purchase from when Frank's Nursery and Crafts went out of business, Spellbinder die cuts.  The card base is black on the outside, and white on the inside.  I buy most of my base cardstock from Hollo's Papercraft in Brunswick, Ohio.  They carry a lot of HEAVY cardstock that is light on one side, and colored on the other.  Since I make most of my cards for Operation Write Home, I want to use the highest quality materials I can afford. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I have a box next to my craft table just for cards and pieces of cards that just didn't "work" for me at the time, and I will come back to those later and often can give them a new life on another card. Somehow a little time away from it makes all the difference. I love the sentiment you chose, and I think your card is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very big pile of those cards going all the time. Most of the time I can make changes or additions to make them do-able, but sometimes even after a few weeks they end up in the recycle bin. I liked your first version of this card, but I have to agree with you, the revised version is super nice. I do think the lace and pearls were a wonderful idea. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with the "not gonna make it" pile". Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I have one of those piles too. :) Your card is beautiful! I love the addition of the lace and pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I love your layout and colors and verse and everything about your card :)

    Thanks for playing in our Operation Write Home Midweek Celebrate Friendship challenge!

    ReplyDelete